Sunday, March 13, 2011

Convo with Pastor - Deuteronomy 1:12

you are such a heavy load to carry!
How can I deal with all your
problems and bickering?
Deuteronomy 1:12
 
The first part of Deuteronomy is a summary of the Exodus. And one of the first things that Moses reminds his people is about how EGR they are.
 
Do you know what EGR means? It's "Extra Grace Required!"
 
Do you know one or two EGRs?
 
Moses knew one or two hundred thousand! "10 The Lord your God has increased your population, making you as numerous as the stars [and] 12 you are such a heavy load to carry."
 
With God's prompting, Moses appointed some administrators to handle all the legal problems, family issues, and political bickering. But here's your question: How do you handle the EGRs in your life?
 
Ninety-nine percent of the time, I'd advise against handling it in court (even though Moses does make allowances for that). And ninety-eight percent of the time, you can't delegate it to an administrator (as the leader of nation, like Moses, did).
 
Rather, I'd suggest Jesus' method. "Love your neighbor as yourself" (Lev 19:18, Mt 22:39), yes ... but also "love your enemies, do good to those who hate you and lend to others, expecting nothing in return" (Luke 6:27,35) "for love covers a multitude of sins" (1 Peter 4:8).
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who needs to go on The Moses' Diet
(love makes me lighter and free, while
bickering and pettiness pack on the pounds)
------------------------------------
"You are such a heavy load to carry."  To me that translates into 'you are so needy,' 'you suck the energy out of the room,' 'you take too much energy with all of you problems.'

EGR - extra grace required from others. But when they don't have it they have trouble being around you.

One of my biggest fears is to be seen as needy. I just want to be someone's friend.  Yes - I have been in a bad place, but a recent conversation reminded me that people are walking on eggshells around me [rightly so].  I knew I was having a rough day one day and simply asked a friend for prayer ... I was then told about how busy they were and how they didn't know what I needed, but I needed to figure it out. It was said gently and lovingly, but completely out of context for a simple prayer request. And ... it confirmed one of my fears.

I don't want to be a burden to anyone. I don't want to be a heavy load to carry. I do want to continue healing. I do want to show God's love to others.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home