Thursday, September 16, 2010

Knowing God - 2 Corinthians 13:11

(fp)

Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal,
be of one mind, live in peace.
And the God of love and peace will be with you.
2 Corinthians 13:11
 
In sports, all of my athletic ability was in my legs. I could run fast and jump high.
But what I couldn't do was shoot, throw, or aim straight. Therefore, I've often joked, "Don't worry. I'll just aim straight at you."
 
Now, that may work for me tossing softballs, but it's not a very good philosophy for life. In general, we become whatever we aim at.
 
The problem is that too many of us are aimless. We're so busy trying to make it through each busy day, that we haven't taken time to aim at all.
 
How many of us are so busy that we're like this race car driver? A race official proclaims, "Today's race is going to be five hundred miles." And before the official can say anything else, one of the drivers rushes out the door, fires up his car, peels out of the parking lot, and when his odometer hits 500-miles, shouts "I win!" Did he win? Well, if the finish line was in the other direction, he was simply going nowhere fast.
 
Do you ever feel like you're going nowhere fast? In today's lesson, scripture tells us where the finish line is: "Aim for perfection."
 
+ Now, many of us aim for good -- and we settle for alright.
+ Some of us aim for great -- and are happy if hit pretty darn good.
+ But what would happen if we aimed for perfection?!
 
Yes, we'll all sin and fall a little short, but I'd rather my trajectory be in the neighborhood of Christ and holiness rather than distracted mediocrity.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants to aim to be like Christ
(and will settle for being a fraction of him
than looking like a lot of the world)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home