Saturday, March 26, 2011

Convo with Pastor - Joshua 7:21

I wanted them so much
that I took them.
Joshua 7:21
 
"I wanted ____ so much." Have you ever said that?!
 
Jericho's fall -- yesterday's story -- contains two stories of two people.
 
The first is Rahab. As a prostitute, she lived on the fringes of society -- figuratively and literally. In fact, with a household window on the outside walls of town, she was able to help the Hebrew spies escape. Risking her life for God's people earned a place in the Hebrews 11 "Hall of Faith." In fact, she was a distant grandmother of both King David and Jesus himself. God can redeem any checkered past if we will but lay down our lives for him.
 
But here's the point: Rahab "wanted what so much"? While the rest of Jericho steeled themselves for battle to preserve their way of life, Rahab "wanted a new way of life so much" that she was willing to turn everything over to a God who held that power and potential.
 
Achan was different. He was already viewed as a child of God. But he "wanted silver and gold and brightly colored robes so much" that he traded in his positive destiny for destruction.
 
Both of these tell us the story of a trade that we must all make. Will we trade ...
  • our old way of life for a new way of life?
  • and the world's material way of gold and silver for God's spiritual way of true power.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants chocolate so much
(no ... no ... God rather chocolate)
-------------------------------------- 
Two months ago I was saying, "I want the pain to go away so much" that I would do ANYTHING to make it happen.  Thankfully ... God has eased the pain and is healing me from past hurts.  
Now I am trying to say, "I want to trust and obey God so much" that I don't worry about the future or dwell on the past.  I have to almost constantly remind myself of this, but it is working.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home