Sunday, June 12, 2011

Convo with Pastor - Pentecost - Acts 2:1-4


When the day of Pentecost had come,
they were all together in one place.
And suddenly from heaven there came
a sound like the rush of a violent wind,
and it filled the entire house where they were sitting.
Divided tongues, as of fire, appeared among them,
and a tongue rested on each of them.
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit
and began to speak in other languages,
as the Spirit gave them ability.
Acts 2:1-4
 
Today is Pentecost Sunday. Today we remember the Holy Spirit rushing into the world, filling Christ's disciples, and birthing the church.
 
Today also marks the beginning of a new devotional interest: Who is and how do I receive the Holy Spirit?
 
In the coming days, we'll talk more fully about the role and the gifts of the Holy Spirit. But today, I want to invite you to till the soil and prepare your heart to receive the Holy Spirit more fully.
 
More fully is the key phrase there.
  • Before we believe, the Holy Spirit is already wooing us.
  • When we believe -- at that instant -- the Holy Spirit rushes in to fill us.
  • Then as we grow in faith and make ourselves more available to the Holy Spirit's leading, the Spirit fills us more fully, gifts us more thoroughly, and uses us more completely.
If you want more, then below is a list of six Biblical methods for receiving the Holy Spirit. Today, start with at least the first -- prayer. Pray: Come, Holy Spirit. Cast out my sin, and enter in. Be born -- more fully -- in me today. (Indeed, take some time to pray on your own. Come, Holy Spirit ...)
 
How to Receive the Holy Spirit
 
P R A Y
[Peter and John] went down
and prayed for them that
they might receive the Holy Spirit
Acts 8:15
 
W O R S H I P
While they were worshiping the Lord
..., the Holy Spirit said ...
Acts 13:2
 
F A S T
While they were ... fasting,
the Holy Spirit said ...
Acts 13:2
 
H E A R   T H E   W O R D
While Peter was still speaking,
the Holy Spirit fell upon all
who heard the word.
Acts 10:44
 
L I S T E N    T O    W I T N E S S E S
The Spirit told me to go with them ...
and as I began to speak,
the Holy Spirit fell upon them
just as it had upon us at the beginning.
Acts 11:12,15
 
L A Y I N G    O N    O F   H A N D S 
[Peter and John] laid their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
Acts 8:17
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who's hungry for more
----------------------
I like this version. I always thought of the tongues as different languages versus something uninterpretable.  Do I believe I am filled with the Holy Spirit? no. Do I understand what it is to be filled with the Holy Spirit? no.

However, for the past several weeks, I have been feeling a strong pull to read Acts. Not study it, but just read it. I have been resisting. I don't know why...likely due to fear. No surprises there.  This should be an interesting journey.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home