Monday, January 25, 2010

Doxology


I grew up knowing The Doxology as:
Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. 
Amen.

I found a copy of Luther's Small Catechism  and Doxology was written there as:
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever. Amen

Why two? Or are they both just examples of the definition of doxology - an expression of praise to God.  Does the lutheran church use the first one?  I know that there are times when the words and tune to the first one just spill from me.  I have to sing it outloud.  Luther's is more staid.  Are there other named 'doxologies?'  

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Pastor Ed said...

From Pastor (email sent to me after I asked him the post in an email)
Good questions.

"A Doxology" is indeed any closing affirmations of praise.

Used enough, anyone can turn "a doxology" into "their doxology" and eventually "The Doxology."

But clearly, the familiar song with the familiar lyrics is what probably 95% of American Christians would know as "The Doxology"!

Jan 27, 2010, 11:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home