Monday, January 25, 2010

Know God - Day 25

A glimpse of 2 prophets...


Isaiah 6

God asks in v8, "Whom shall I send ... ?"

Isaiah started his ministry by SEEING God.  But only the hem of his garment/the train of his robe - and it filled the temple.  When I was married, I had a cathedral length train...and it was plenty long.  But God's train FILLED the temple.  And that was all that Isaiah saw.  Another example showing that God is great. awesome. holy.  We all need to fall down before him like Isaiah did - worrying about our unclean parts.
What is the picture of God you carry in your head?

My picture of God is always changing and varies with the situation and my mood.  He can be a whisper of wind, a santa claus/grandfatherly figure, a roiling dark cloud...

Pastor passes on a piece of advice he has heard over the years, "If any presents an interpretation of God that makes God smaller, don't believe it!"  How does this change/expand your picture of God? I don't know.  I don't have one steady image of God in my head.  It just confirms what I already see.

Isaiah answered God's question by saying, "Here I am, send me." What do you know in your heart that God is calling you to do, and what is your response to him?  currently - he is calling me to come to him, rely on him, rest in him.  I am trying, but it isn't easy.  I am not used to resting in him or relying on his comfort.  It is a giving up control. releasing my inner self and heart to his care.  Until my heart is healed, I won't be much good being sent out...

Daniel 5:1-9, 17, 24-30
25 "This is the inscription that was written: MENE, MENE, TEKEL, PARSIN+F25 ARAMAIC "UPARSIN" (THAT IS, "AND PARSIN")+E

Daniel's interpretation for each word:
  • 26 - Mene": God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end. **When you hear that God has numbered your days, what's your reaction? Honestly - I don't mind. Pastor writes, "I'm actually beginning to look forward to it. (I never would have guessed that I'd be this weird!)...so many comments left unsaid here...
  • 27 - Tekel": You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting. **Nothing we can do will be enough. We will always be wanting! Pastor writes, "All of us have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23-27). Therefore, before we ever jump to the promise of God's grace, let's spend a moment in confession. A holy god ought to have us bowing way down." A running theme...confess. He knows. He wants to know if we know.
  • 28 - Peres": Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians." **What? We don't have kingdoms to divide. However, we do have stuff. Lots and lots of stuff. We need to remember that it is all momentary. How might the hope and glory of eternity shape our days more fully? If we focus on heaven and not on the 'stuff' then we can know more of what God really wants from us. If...
Daniel 10:5-14, 12:1-3
God is showing Daniel that despite the enemy coming ever closer minute by minute, He will keep persisting and fighting for us as well.  In 12:1 God said, "At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people--everyone whose name is found written in the book--will be delivered."

At That Time... I never realized that the end times were mentioned in the old testament.  We as humans are in big trouble if we don't have faith and trust in God!!

All end-times/second coming/last days prophesies ask two questions:
1. Are you ready?  (one of my least favorite 'canned' christian questions comes to mind - 'If you died today, where would you go?')  Nevermind that. Are you ready? There are no guarantees - remember - only God knows the number of your days.

2. Will you stand firm in your faith when a day of persecution comes?  This may not happen in the end times. This may happen now.  It does happen daily around the world. visit Voice of the Martyrs to learn more.  It is very real!!!  We are called to stand firm in our faith in times of trial.  Daniel did this when thrown in the lion's den.  Shadrach, Meshach and Abendego did in the firey furnace.  Jesus did on the cross.  Thousnads of people do every day around the world.  

How about you? If persecution came to your life and your family, what would you do?  

A story - when living in Montana in 1993, there was a group of us that met every Friday after a day of fasting to pray and break our fast together.  The four of us were at my house one evening praying.  Suddenly the front door burst open, figures with guns and dark clothing entered. We all dropped to the floor, trying to find cover behind the small coffee table.  One of the guys tried to protect the gal sitting near him.  We were terrified.  The intruders turned out to be friends of ours playing a prank on us.  We are all playing paintball the next day and they had just picked up the gear.  We talked about how scared we all were and our reactions.  And how we would really fare in a country where what we were doing then was illegal.  It was sobering.  And eye opening.  I am a wimp.  I could only survive with the complete and utter grace of God.  

Another story - we have been to China twice to adopt our children.  For both trips, we took bibles with us that never made it home.  They were english/chinese bibles.  On our second trip, we attended an international worship service at our hotel.  There was a police officer positioned outside to check passports to insure that no citizens of China came in to worship.  Our guide asked many questions afterward and I did my best to answer.  Could we have both gotten in trouble? Yes. Did we care? No.  Frankly, never crossed my mind how dangerous that was for several days.  

But am I willing to give up my comfort and freedom here to risk my life daily for Christ somewhere else? not yet...  You?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home