Sunday, May 23, 2010

Knowing God - John 3:2

(from Pastor)
He came to Jesus by night
John 3:2
The Gospel portrait of the Pharisees is: Whitewashed tombs. Clean as a freshly scrubbed up on the outside, but full of greed, self-indulgence, legalism, and pride on the inside (see Mt 23:25-26).
Fortunately, at least one Pharisee defied the stereotype. Nicodemus was hungry for the truth. Therefore, he sought out a humble carpenter who reflected the way, the truth, and the life. Isn't it fascinating, though, that he did it at night, under the cloak of darkness?
I've watched too many spy movies (to be sure) and a few comic spy capers like Get Smart. Therefore, I always imagine Nicodemus as Maxwell Smart -- sneaking between the shadows, looking over his shoulder, dialing Pharisee number 99 on his sandal phone, and meeting with Jesus under the cone of silence.
How many people in our sphere of influence are hungry for the way, the truth, and the life, but they've dug themselves into a prideful hole? They dare not admit that they need help ... need faith ... need healing ... need God. They're so scarred by life that they cannot believe that they can be loved. They cannot come forward publicly. It would be too embarrassing.
Who do you know like that? Tell them about Nicodemus. And encourage them to sneak into God, church, and faith undercover. (For example, many people can't imagine coming to a church worship service -- "the roof might cave in" -- but they wouldn't mind being invited to a picnic!)
In Christ's Love,
Agent 32
(as in John 3:2)
----------------------------------------------------------
Amazingly enough - even those that know Christ are too scared to admit that they need help ... need healing. They also are too scarred by life that they can't believe that they can be loved.  I am one of those.  I don't like asking for help - or accepting it. I know I need healing.  I also don't think I am deserving or worthy of love. Why would anyone love me? I know in my  head that God Does love me. Sometimes doing something 'under the cloak of darkness' is easier than openly admitting you need help in the daylight.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home