Saturday, May 22, 2010

Knowing God - John 2:17

(from Pastor)
His disciples remembered that it was written,
"Zeal for your house will consume me."
John 2:17
 
John doesn't record my favorite line in the cleansing of the temple: "My house shall be called a house of prayer" (Mt 21:13, Mk 11:17, Lk 19:46 -- all based on Isaiah 56:7). Thankfully, John's remembrance enriches us with another verse -- based on Psalm 69:9, "Zeal for your house will consume me."
 
When you think of "church" -- Spirit of Joy -- what do you think of? I urge you to lift two words to the top of your list: prayer and zeal.
 
Pray more and more for you church ... and in your church. Come early. Stay late. Pray for our council and leaders. Pray for our hurting brothers and sisters. Lift up our kids in a society intent on dumbing them down. Ask for reconciliation with those who've hurt you. Seek to know those who are new as true brothers and sisters in Christ.
 
And zeal ... Zeal means passion, enthusiasm, eager desire, fervor, and love. What keeps you from zeal for God's house -- our church -- in your life? Whichever one of those words for zeal is missing in your heart, start praying for it daily. "Lord, help me have a fervor for church and service -- not just an exhaustion in my life and work." "Lord, help me be enthusiastic supporter of ____ ministry."
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who hungers for
a stronger and stronger and even stronger
house of prayer  
---------------------------------------------------------  
When I think of Spirit of Joy, I think of comfort, a safe place, peacefulness. I have often gone there to pray - alone.  I have found such peace in the sanctuary - even now with no a/c. When my heart and soul are troubled and aching, I can go to the sanctuary and sit in a favorite spot, or kneel by the altar and feel such comfort.  I especially enjoy being there when it is dark outside and the streetlights shine through the stained glass and it is quiet. 

I also want to support SOJ.  It is my NC family. And to be part of a family means to be involved.  I am still trying to find my place and my fit ... while dealing with a lot of life stuff.  But that is what is so great about SOJ. It is a safe place to deal with hurts.  I am so very thankful for SOJ and the people there.  Often it feels like more of a home than my home. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home