Thursday, May 20, 2010

Knowing God - John 16:33

(from Pastor)
In the world ye shall have tribulation:
but be of good cheer;
I have overcome the world.
John 16:33
Confirmation used to be an ordeal for many young Lutherans. "Every Sunday we had to sit on the front row of the church and take notes on the Pastor's sermon. And he'd stare down from us from the pulpit whenever we missed jotting down one of the points."
We live in a kinder, gentler era of church going. Much of it is for the better. But there was a very good purpose for this note-taking. We remember about 5% of what we hear, but we remember about 15-20% of what we write down.
Therefore, if you want my sermons to four times better, take notes!!!
I'm reminded of this because of an email I received today entitled, "Your Sermon Blessed My Socks Off." I opened it immediately (of course) ... and I pass on to you as an encouragement to be a note-taker ...
Dear Pastor Ed, 
 Last week I ran into notes I took from one of your sermons preached some time ago.  It was based on, "In this world you will have tribulations, but be of good cheer for I have overcome the world."
You asked, "what would our lives look like if when we experienced tribulations we realized Jesus had already overcome it?  We would then be able to be Of Good Cheer. 
You also quoted, "your new name will be contentment ...  joyful and ______. (My notes are at home and I am at work.)
I don't know how much that sermon blessed me the first time but after spending the last 5 days [in] reflection and prayer ... it blessed me immensely--it made me JOYFUL. 
I just wanted to bless you for blessing me.
God has more blessings in store for each of us than we can possibly remember. (So take notes ... you may remember a few more!)
Note: I know of another member who carries a notebook in her purse. All the sermons and all her blessings go in that book. It's a traveling treasury of insight and joy.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants to develop writer's cramp
from remembering and writing down
all of God's lessons and blessings 
----------------------------------------
I am a note-taker. I have sermon notes from high school - some over 25 years old.  When we look for a new church when we move, one criteria I have is how easy it is to take notes on the sermon. Some preachers never get to the point. Some just ramble. Some do an intro, 3 points, conclusion.  Going back and reading the notes, I can often tell how I was doing during that time - based on emphasis, amount of notes, doodles, etc.  My current book is literally falling apart. I started it in 2006. It is almost full - 4 years later. But I have used it more than once to refer to previous conference and sermon notes.  

I am transitioning into a different place in life. I am also in need of a new sermon notes book.  I have been toying with keeping a gratitude list and a blessing/where I see God list.  I need something I can refer to when I don't see God. When life is rough - as it will be.  Dong so will help me to be of good cheer and remember that God is coming - we will triumph over tribulation.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home