Sunday, November 21, 2010

Knowing God - Leviticus 7:13

(fp)
With your thanksgiving sacrifice of well-being
you shall bring your offering with cakes of leavened bread.
Leviticus 7:13
Did your mom ever make you write thank you notes?
Did laboring over those notes ever feel like a huge sacrifice and a burdensome chore?
The first time "thanksgiving" is mentioned in the Bible -- at least in my trusty NRSV -- is in Leviticus. In chapter 7, God tells us that "thanksgiving" required a "sacrifice" and brought "well-being."
I don't know about you, but I'm glad that mom was wise and made me labor over those notes. Those letters of "thanksgiving" might have seemed like a "sacrifice," but without it, our heart will also lurch toward selfishness, entitlement, and pride -- instead of "well-being."
In Christ's Love,
a guy who needs some new stationary
-- I need to be saying thanks more often
------------------------------
It wasn't my mom who demanded the notes, but my southern lady of a grandmother.  And there was proper way to write them. In your best hand writing. on good stationary. promptly.  I still write thank you notes, but not always promptly or on good stationary.  Or often enough.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home