Monday, February 07, 2011

Convo with Pastor - John 6:32

Then Jesus said to them,
"Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses
who gave you the bread from heaven,
but it is my Father who gives you
the true bread from heaven.
John 6:32
 
When was the last time you were hungry? I mean, really hungry! I mean, walking-miles-and-miles-through-the-desert-for-days-with-nothing-to-eat-hungry.
 
In the wilderness, the people were HUNGRY. And not Moses, but God gave them bread from heaven.
 
Thus, our first point today is that God is our ultimate provider. Therefore, Jesus encourages us -- Matthew 6 -- to pray, "give us this day our daily bread."
 
Nevertheless, we are told here -- in John 6 -- that physical bread, while needed, is not our greatest need.
 
What are you hungry for besides the physical? I've often heard it said that "we are all created with a God-shaped-hole in our heart and we are always and ultimately empty until that need is fulfilled." Jesus is the true bread, the bread of life, and he wants to fill and fulfill all of the greatest needs ... and hopes ... and desires in our lives. He wants to fill-up and therefore get rid of the gaping holes caused by pain and grief and hurts.
 
Where are you hurting? What are you, deep down, hungry for? Jesus is the bread, the filler.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who knows God and faith and righteousness is what will fill me!
(nevertheless, like the Israelites who collected more than they needed,
I am always tempted to do more one day and slack off the next.
It's like a crummy diet plan -- binge and fast, binge and fast.
I need to strive for the recommended daily allowance of God.)
----------------------------
I have never been that hungry physically. My physical needs have always been met ... too well most days.  But I have been literally starving spiritually, emotionally.  And like someone who finally finds food after days of nothing ... as I am re-discovering how to feed on the bread of life, I am finding that I can only take small bites at a time throughout the day. Otherwise it is overwhelming. God's love can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to overwhelm us.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home