Saturday, January 30, 2010

Know God - Day 30

Ezra 1, Nehemiah 1, 2, 8

According to pastor, Ezra and Nehemiah are two of the most important and overlooked people in the 'hall of faith.'  They were responsible for much of the rebuilding of Jerusalem and Jewish nation after the exile.

Christians tend to think that they [we] are the chosen ones - like the Jews - but God will use anyone ... even a non-believing foreigner.  God will not work only through us as Christians.  He will use available resources - or create his own.

Have you ever seen God moving in unexpected places?  I am always surprised to see God move.  I know I shouldn't be, but I am.  Must be the skeptic in me.  I know he will use any situation he can. any person he wants.

Pastor then details Nehemiah's road to becoming governor:

  • Started as cupbearer to the king who had a burden on his heart.
  • Mourned and wept for days when he comprehended the condition of his native land
  • then he prayed ... and prayed ... and prayed some more.
  • This prayer aligned Nehemiah with god's wisdom and opened a door with the king, allowing him to rebuild Jerusalem's wall and restore the glory of God's city.
What are we so concerned about that we are weeping and worrying?  What keeps us from praying and/or aligning ourselves more fully with God?

Children in poverty and people with albinism in less than ideal places are a huge burned on my heart - most specifically - children with albinism living in poverty in those countries.  I do pray for them often. I am sponsoring a boy with albinism in Tanzania through Compassion International, I am on the board of directors for NOAH - the national organization for albinism and hypopigmentation, and I volunteer with Love Without Boundaries to help orphans in China.  Some days I wonder if I am 'doing' too much and not 'waiting for God' enough.  

Nehemiah 8:5-6 Ezra opened the book. ... and as he opened it, the people all stood up. 6 Ezra praised the Lord, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, "Amen! Amen!" Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

Pastor, "That's the power of God's Word and that's the reverence we need to have for it. God is alive and active and good."  

I have been in many churches where you are expected to stand for the reading of scripture, a few where everyone raised hands.  And have never seen anyone bow down with their faces to the ground in a church.  Are we getting too jaded? ...but I digress...

Pastor continues, "When the people stood up, they began the most alive period in Jewish history.  Not peaceful or prosperous.  But they made God, law, and the scriptures the center of their faith.

Pray: "God, center my life around your Word!"  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home