Thursday, April 29, 2010

Forgiveness


Growing up, I was always taught that we needed to "Simply forgive and everything would be alright."  I am learning that it isn't that easy.  Forgiveness isn't a snap of the fingers as is often taught in churches.  It is a process ... a constant process ... a discipline ...  an act of obedience. And it's not forgive and forget - it's forgive and learn.  Forgive and try not to repeat.  Forgive and not resent.  Others and self.   

I recently read in a book that not forgiving is like having a clinched fist - when your fist is clinched, you are unable to give forgiveness nor are you able to receive forgiveness.  Forgiveness allows you to let go of resentment.  Allows you to turn retribution over to God.  

I am still processing all of this - still have a very long way to go - still trying to figure out how to forgive myself. It sounds so incredibly simple, but it is so amazingly far from easy!!! 

... a gal who wants to cancel her membership in the Order of the Clinched Fist .......

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Still Here said...

Hi Chris,
I appreciate your forgiveness thoughts. Like you feel you need to forgive you, it's me that I need to forgive more than anyone else. It's harder than it sounds, isn't it? Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep checking in-

May 2, 2010, 12:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home