Monday, April 26, 2010

Scar Revision

A few years ago I had the opportunity to watch a cleft lip scar revision surgery on one of my patients.  The surgery was necessary to allow his lip to grow as the rest of him grew and to prevent disfigurement.  The scar tissue does not grow like normal tissue.

When the scar tissue was removed, the doctor handed it to me so I could feel it.  It was tough, slightly pliable, not stretchable.  It was holding the tissue in place but that was about all.  The doctor then re-sewed the lip, carefully connecting all the various layers of skin and muscle tissues to minimize scarring.  The kiddo had some pain and discomfort for a few weeks, but when the healing was completed, you could barely tell where the old scar was.

For the past three weeks I have been undergoing my own scar revision of sorts.  People have been helping me look at past scars, slicing open old hurts, removing the junk, and eventually - trying to sew everything back up properly.

It is a process. It is painful. and it is by no means quick nor easy - nor is anesthesia used!! But in order to heal, the old stiff, non-elastic scar has to be removed.  Only then can everything be sewn up correctly to heal properly.  There have been days when I have felt raw - like I was sliced open and left there to bleed.  There have been days when the pain was almost unbearable. but there have been days when I know that healing is happening.  I know that everything will turn out better on the other side.  One day.

God is the surgeon in this process, but he has some amazing assistants helping him.  Despite all the pain, I would go through this again to heal.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home