Sunday, May 16, 2010

Knowing God - Genesis 18:19

(from Pastor)

I have singled him out
so that he will guide his children
Genesis 18:19
One of the greatest calls that any of us can have is to guide our children. So ... do you know what American parents tend to wish most for their kids? "I just want them to be happy."
Happiness, however, is situational. Therefore, happiness is always fleeting. And if our goal is for our kids to be happy, we are teaching them to be consumers (trying to buy their next glimpse of happiness) and we are teaching them to look out for me, myself, and I (self-centeredness).
Now ... that's certainly not all that we teach our children. We clearly teach them other good things -- like being moral and compassionate -- but then we leave them oddly conflicted. Their self-centeredness (personal happiness) constantly struggles with their sense of compassion (morality). What wins? A stunted view of right and wrong. "I'm compassionate if and when it makes me feel good (and is convenient)." 
Now, as soon as morality is subjective, our children lose the ability to discern right from wrong. All we have left is an experiential (feelings-based) morality. If it makes someone feel good, it must be "okay for them."
What's the answer? We return to scripture. The verse above is not the full verse. Scripture tells us that God singled out Abraham "So that he will direct his children to keep the way of the Lord." If we believe that the fruit of the Spirit is joy and if we believe that joy includes and far exceeds happiness, then we know now the compass for guiding our children. We don't teach them happiness (which encourages selfishness); we teach them righteousness and holiness and faith (which encourages servanthood). We ground their lives in godliness because the Lord will uphold them even when life's situations are trying.
In Christ's Love,
a guy who doesn't want to be happy
... just spiritual, fruitful, and joyful
-----------------------------------------
I often say that i don't want to be happy. But I do want to feel joy.  I want my children to know joy. But, until I rediscover joy, there is no way I can teach that to my children. 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home