Monday, May 24, 2010

Knowing God - John 3:10

(from Pastor)

Jesus answered him,
"Are you a teacher of Israel,
and yet you do not understand these things?"
John 3:10
Read Jesus' words again. Our fear of not knowing everything absolutely paralyzes God's church. Therefore ...
+ We don't go to Bible Studies ("I might not know something and look stupid"). 
+ We don't evangelize ("What if they ask me something I don't know?").
+ And we don't teach -- our kids or classes at church ("I don't know enough").
I was in a Bible study a few weeks ago and threw out a term that I thought was readily understandable. One of the longer-term students in the group finally said, "What does that mean?!" And all the others cheered. "Thank you."
I loved the hunger to understand! And I loved -- even more -- the willingness to risk asking the question. I am certain that Jesus did too when he said to Nicodemous, "are you a teacher ... and yet do not understand ..." He wasn't judging! He was clarifying what was and wasn't known so that in John 3 he could teach some of history's deepest truths. (Where would we be without Nicodemus' questions and John 3:16?)
Fear paralyzes us ... and the church. Be bold. Clarify. Everyone will be richer.
In Christ's Love,
a dumb guy
(because I haven't always asked the right questions
and have been dumber because of it)


---------------------------------------------------------------
To respond to the statements - 
+ I don't go to bible study ... because there isn't one offered right now. Everything is pausing for the summer. This drives me nuts! (a short trip to be certain!) I actually have more time to devote to study in the summer. Even Sunday School/Faith Building stops in the summer. Do we not need to continue learning and growing when it is warm outside?

+ I don't evangelize ... No. I don't go door to door. I had some horrid experiences as a youth doing that.  I prefer to live my life and make small connections. Answer questions when asked. I know where to go if I don't know the answer. 

+ I do teach my kids. And I have offered to help teach at church - just certain ages. 

I am always asking questions (ask pastor - he'll verify that!) I love to learn. The more I learn, the less I realize I know and understand. So I want to learn that much more. 

And there are no wrong questions!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home