Saturday, May 15, 2010

Knowing God - Psalm 72:6

(from Pastor)

"He shall come down like
rain upon the mown grass"
Ps. 72:6
 
One of the things I love about scripture is how specific it can be. This Psalm doesn't say, "rain on grass"; it says, "rain on mown grass." That means I can smell it! Can you?!
 
The smell of mown grass is the smell of summer.
 
Rain also has a smell ... and a feel. Here in the south, a summer rain almost clings to you. It cools things off, awakens the fragrance of parched plants, and envelops you in it's humidity.
 
That's what God's presence does, says this Psalm. Soothes. Awakens. Envelops and surrounds.
 
God is near you. Can you see him? Feel him? Smell him?
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who needs to go outside
instead of sitting at his computer
and experience a
 little of God's goodness!
--------------------------
I love the smell of freshly mown grass ... and rain on hot pavement in the summertime - when you can see the steam rising and smell the earth cooling off.  I also love running in those summer rains.  Feeling the cool raindrops on warm skin. Feeling the rain drip down my nose.  splashing in puddles.


In the Pacific Northwest - I had the chance to walk barefoot in the rain on freshly mown grass. It was freeing. refreshing. cleansing.  ... but ... I still feel like God is so far away. I don't see him. I don't feel him. I don't smell him.  I long for him to soothe me. envelope me in his embrace.  maybe I need to go walk in a spring rain again ...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home