Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Friends for a time. Friends for life.

I have several friends. Most I don't talk to all that often. I don't count most of the 650 on Facebook as true 'friends' - many are acquaintances.  Many I haven't seen in decades - if I have even met them at all.  But I have moved a lot. Been involved in several organizations and tend to keep in touch with people.

Thinking about accountability got me to thinking about my friends.  I have a few who I do not talk to often - 2-3 times a year. But when we do talk it is like we never had a gap in communication.  We click and pick right back up where we left off.  I know they are there for the big stuff.  There are a few who have been on this recent journey with me and I know I can pick up the phone anytime to talk to them - and vice versa.  But we rarely do. We are in our own recovery. Busy with our own lives.

However, two friends come to mind.  They have completely different background. I met them under completely different circumstances.
-- One is JC - we met in high school.  We were both in band. Ran in different circles. share completely different political and religious beliefs. She even dated my husband first.  Yet 25 years later she is still who I call first.  We share a history that can't be changed.  We have been with each other through weddings, divorce, death, celebrations, singlehood, college, motherhood.  We talk 4-5 times a week and realize something isn't right if we don't.

-- The other is LC - we met in when stationed in CO.  We went to the same church.  We didn't even really start to get to know each other until Christmas 2003 when Hubby was working and I was going to be alone on Christmas Eve.  I went to her house for the first of many times.  Now I am in NC and she is in NE.  We talk 2-4 times a week about everything and at all times.  When we lived a mile apart, we'd call each other up to go run errands - determine who was having the better supper (usually her) and get our families together.  Play board games for hours (usually Settler's of Catan) and laugh.  We share political and religious beliefs.  We didn't have any history.  But we have forged a permanent friendship that distance can't weaken.

I know neither can be replaced.  but I long for a friendship here, in NC, where I can just pick up the phone and say, "Hey! We're cooking out. Wanna bring the crew over?" or "I need an attitude adjustment - wanna go get some ice cream?" or "Can I just come over and hang out with you for a  little bit."  or "Let's go run our errands together."  Spending time with others is how these relationships are forged and strengthened.  Why is that so hard in this area?  At least I can count on my friends over the phone lines ...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home