Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Know God - John 6:44

(from Pastor)

Jesus said ...
"No one can come to me
unless the Father...draws him"
John 6:44
My Bible study this morning prompted me to ask three questions ...
1. What does this passage (or any passage) tell us about God? I answered, "God's a magnet, and he wants to draw us closer to him."
2. What does this passage (or any passage) tell us about us? I answered, "If God's a magnet, then I am metal. I am designed to be drawn to him.
3. What does this passage (or any passage) prompt me to adjust and obey? If I am not drawn as close to God as I'd like, I need to correct one of three things ... 
One, I need to remove anything that keeps me from God. (How many obstacles -- and false priorities -- do I place between me and the mighty magnet, God?) 
Two, I need to purify my life. (If I'm not a 100% pure and metallic, then I'll only partly be drawn to God. What do I need to confess?)
Three, maybe I need to turn completely around. (One side of a magnet pushes away from another magnet. If I am far from God, maybe I need to turn around -- which by the way is the definition of repentance. And this makes me prayerful, because don't you know people who seem to be repulsed by God and his perceived injustice rather than drawn to him and healed? Pray for them.)
In Christ's Love,
a guy who asks three questions
and can suddenly explain
why my head is as hard as iron
(thankfully God can use even that to draw me to him)
-------------------------
My answers to the 3 questions:

1. What does this passage (or any passage) tell us about God? I had the image of a fishing line being cast and the catch being reeled in ... the fish - once on the hook can't come into the boat unless the one controlling the reel draws them in.  You can fight the hook and line and sometimes that is allowed - other times it is just futility.

2. What does this passage (or any passage) tell us about us?  We are stubborn. We need God to pull us to him. To help us understand and love him. We are completely unable to do this alone.

3. What does this passage (or any passage) prompt me to adjust and obey? I need to quit fighting. To allow him to pull me close and reel me in as he desires.

What are your 3 answers?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home