Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Convo with Pastor - Job 28:12

where shall wisdom be found?
Job 28:12
 
One of my favorite books is Andy Stanley's, "The Best Question Ever." He says the one question that could have saved him from most of the heartaches he's faced in life would have been to ask: "What is the wise thing to do?"
 
Job -- though in an awful and confusing pit of grief and calamity -- was, nevertheless, a man of wisdom. Listen as he advises us about this important subject ...
 
12 Where is wisdom to be found?
13 Mortals do not know the way to if
[for] it is not found in the land of the living.
3 Miners [seem to] put an end to darkness
[by] searching out the farthest bound,
14 [but] the deep say, "It is not in me."
15 It cannot be gotten for gold.
18 The price of wisdom is greater than pearls.
20 Where then does wisdom come from?
It is hidden from the eyes of all [the] living,
[but] 23 God understands the ways to it.
 
When I read "The Best Question Ever," Andy Stanley laid out chapter after chapter of wise advice. He talked about wisdom in circumstances like finances and purity and accepting a coach's advice. Yet as I read it, I kept getting angrier and angrier. Yes, this was wise advice, but he was missing the best advice of all!
 
He didn't let me down! The last chapter -- once he'd hooked his non-religious readers into buying into the principal of seeking wisdom -- is the truest line from scripture: "The beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord" (Prov 1:7, 9:10, Ps 111:10).
 
Ahhh!!!
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who knows that
the "fear of the Lord" is not being scared
but rather showing a "profound respect."
My God knows the way to wisdom ... not me.
----------------------
If wisdom is fear of the Lord, then exactly how do you know what is wise and what isn't?   I admit to being afraid of God ... much different from respectful fear. I blogged about that on 2/8/10 title 'More than Fear.'  (you can click to read it)  And reading it tells me that I have not come so far since then. Still scared ...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home