Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Convo with Pastor - Joshua 21:45

Not a single one of all of the good promises
that the LORD had given to the family of Israel
was left unfulfilled; everything he had spoken came true.
Joshua 21:45
My thought today was to give you a list of several promises in the Bible. So I googled the phrase and my first hit was from one of my favorite authors, Kenneth Boa.
Kenneth Boa's passion is teaching people to pray the scriptures. And he's compiled a list of ALL the promises in the Bible, book-by-book. Attached is his PARTIAL list, downloaded from http://bible.org/article/selected-promises-god-each-book-bible. His abbreviated list is 20-pages long!!!
Here's the point:
1) God wants to bless us ... in fact, he promises repeatedly to do so.
2) Therefore, claim these blessings, including one the verse before today's verse: "44 Just as the Lord had solemnly promised their ancestors ... the Lord gave them rest on all sides."
If you're lacking peace, the Lord promises you rest. Promises. Absolutely! It may take a while. In fact, it took Israel forty-plus years (and all because of their rebellion). But you can, will, and are guaranteed to rest, as another promises -- this one from Jesus -- says,
"Come to me, all you that are weary
and are carrying heavy burdens,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me;
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy,
and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants peace and rest and lighter burdens
and needs to pay attention to the conditions for blessing
so I don't have to wait 40 years for it!
(What was it? Oh, yeah ... simply come to Jesus
and he will give us rest)
------------------------------- 
I often crave peace and rest.  But what I like about this verse is the last part  - 'Everything he had spoken came true.'  God is completely unable to lie!  He can't do it. However, when we place our humanness on him we can create false scenarios in our own minds that make it seem like he has lied to us ... but we need to remember that EVERYTHING he had spoken came true.  He told the Israelites what the consequences of their actions would be if they didn't obey, and it happened. He also tells them the great things they will achieve if they do obey ... occasionally they reaped those as well.   

It still holds true for us. Everything we have learned in the bible is true. We need to let go of our pride, stubbornness, rebellion and anything else holding us back and let his truth take care of us.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home