Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Knowing God - Mark 1:12

(from Pastor)

And immediately the Spirit
drove him into the wilderness.
Mark 1:12
We could say that Jesus' ministry began with baptism. John the Baptist and the water of the Jordan were indeed important. But I'd contend that it was the sky opening and the Holy Spirit coming down that really jump-started Jesus' ministry.
And what did the Spirit do for Jesus? "Drove him into the wilderness." "Immediately!"
Most of us seek peace, comfort, and mercy. Indeed, we don't often pray for the stark, barren, parched, and hungry of the wilderness. But how many of us grow more when times are hard?
Most of us have short-term goals in mind, and they do, indeed, start with comfort. But God has long-term goals in mind, and we're generally not very useful until we've grown to a serviceable stature.
In Christ's Love,
a guy willing to wear wilderness hiking boots
because someday I want hike deeper into heaven
--------------------------------------------
No, Pastor, I did NOT pray for the stark, barren, parched, hungry, tear filled, agonizing wilderness/desert.  However, I haven't asked to leave.  Just for a path to be forged for me.  Yes - I want comfort, peace, healing.  I am human. But I also want to really know God.  I want to make this journey so that I can hopefully one day help others along the same or similar journeys.  We do have to experience our time in the desert and wilderness alone with God, but we can have people there for rest stops along the way, right?  People who know what tools we need. People who help us hold the cup of refreshing water to our lips. People who will ease the loneliness for brief moments of time.  Even deserts have oasis and wildernesses have restful meadows.  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home