Sunday, February 28, 2010

Knowing god - Psalm 63:4

(from Pastor)

In your name
I will lift up my hands
Psalm 63:4
 
We worship God with our words ... with our mouths ... with our hearts ... with our minds. Scripture tells us to worship God with our bodies too.
 
To be honest, this is not my favorite form of prayer. I'm stiff. I'm rigid. I'm stubborn. And it's an inconvenience to bow. Furthermore, it can be a little embarrassing to raise our hands (either because of the underarm stains or for fear of someone watching). However, if I'm honest, scripture repeatedly shows God's most faithful servants constantly falling face down or kneeling in submission or lifting up their hands in praise.
 
Why?
 
I believe it is because our bodies are part of the whole human package. And whenever we divorce part of who we are from our praise and repentance, we've held part of ourselves back from God.
 
Let us give ourselves more fully to him -- body, mind, and soul.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who apparently needs more exercise
(up ... down ... up ... down ... kneel ... fall ... lift up)
-----------------------------------------
Growing up in a VERY conservative church - you rarely showed emotion, much less raised your hands or got on you knees in worship.  It was frowned upon - sternly.  I am still trying to overcome that.  One day not too long ago ... I found myself in my current church's outdoor sanctuary.  After expressing my anger with God verbally and physically, I literally fell to my knees and cried to him.  Then I found myself face down in the dirt. Crying and weeping to him.  Since then I have been on my knees to Him more than ever before in my life.  I run to the sanctuary at church and make use of the kneeling pads at the altar.  They have supported my knees and absorbed my tears.  


Lifting my hands to Him is still difficult.  Even holding open hands out to Him is hard.  Yet, when my now 5 year old girl wants comforting, she still holds her hands up to me.  Shouldn't we do no less to our heavenly father?  Surely he'll pick us up, hold us tight and whisper comforting thoughts in our ears.  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home