Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Knowing God - John 3:30

(from Pastor)

"He [Jesus] must increase,
but I [John the Baptist] must decrease."
John 3:30
 
Daily I am praying for revival -- mine, first; our church, our nations.
 
Someone said to me recently that "I heard revivals are often short-lived."
 
"It's true," I said, "The Holy Spirit comes down powerfully for a period of time. And then that magnificent season sometimes ends as quickly as it started."
 
"Do we really want to pray for something that may come and go."
 
"Absolutely," I said, "after all, do you know how long John the Baptist's ministry was? I've heard that it was maybe as short as six months. But wouldn't it be worth everything in creation to be as alive as John for even six months ... and have even a fraction of his impact on the kingdom?"
 
And wouldn't you love a faith so trusting that could joyfully say, "If something better may increase, let my moment decrease?"    
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who says,
"my whole life here on earth
for six months like that!"

--------------------------------------
Less of me. More of God. Revival.  


What does revival really mean? Of course I looked it up! Here it is ...

an act or instance of reviving : the state of being revived, renewed attention to or interest in something, a new presentation or publication of something old, a period of renewed religious interest, an often highly emotional evangelistic meeting or series of meetings, restoration of force, validity, or effect, A restoration to use, acceptance, activity, or vigor after a period of obscurity or quiescence.

It comes from 'revive' which has it's roots in Middle English reviven, from Old French revivre, from Latin revvere, to live again : re-, re- + vvere, to live; seegwei- in Indo-European roots.



Does a revival have to be sudden? A flash? Can it be a slow start? A buildup? Steady embers that grow in intensity?  I have been learning how to live again. I am being revived. But there is still a very long way to go. I am undergoing a personal revival - I am in a state of being revived.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home