Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Knowing God - Genesis 33:14

(from Pastor)

"I will lead on softly ..."
Genesis 33:14
 
What beautiful words!
 
Many years before, Jacob had swindled his older brother out of a birthrite, but by Genesis 33 it is time to restore a family. Jacob approaches his brother a bit fearfully. He bows to his brother seven times, as if he were a servant. Esau, however, wasn't angry. He rushed foward joyfully and "kissed" his brother "affectionately." Tears of joy flowed.
 
The beauty of reconciliation!
 
After, I imagine, several hours of reminiscing, it was time to go home! Esau said kindly, "'12 I will ... lead the way.'13 But Jacob replied, ' ... Some of the children are very young, ... the flocks and herds ... too. If they are driven too hard, they may die. 14 So go on ahead of us. I will lead on softly ...'"
 
How Esau's heart must have leapt again. His once selfish brother -- who would lie and cheat and run away -- has chosen a new pace. Family concerns trump selfish desires. And in that way, he leads on softly.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who knows that leading softly
often starts with reconciliation
------------------------------
When I read this verse I was instantly reminded of the Amy Grant song, "Lead Me On." I could only remember the tune with those 3 words so I looked it up and here is the chorus:

Lead me on
Lead me on
To a place where the river runs
Into your keeping, oh.

Lead me on
Lead me on
The awaited deliverance
Comforts the seeking...lead on.

God leads us softly to him. He doesn't force us to follow him. He gave us free will, but he gently guides us.  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home