Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Know god - John 6:16-17

(from Pastor)

When evening came,
his disciples went down to the sea,
got into a boat, and started
across the sea to Capernaum.
It was now dark,
and Jesus had not yet come to them.
John 6:16-17
 
In her sermon last Sunday, Pastor Fran gave me a great image of Peter that I'll always treasure. She said something like, "If Peter saw a boat, he had to get in it." (I looked at my Navy-bound son and had to laugh.)
 
I bring that up because -- to me -- a curious thing happens in this passage. Apparently when one particular evening came, the disciples saw a boat ... and apparently they just got into it ... and apparently, it just started sailing ... and apparently, they were half way across the sea on the way to Capernaum when it occured to them that Jesus was not with them.
 
I don't know how they expected for Jesus "to yet come to them" when they just happened to get into a boat and had already sailed halfway to Capernaum.
 
But come to them Jesus did!
 
The Savior walked on water.
 
Now ... I don't know about y'all, but sometimes I just get into a boat and sail off in my own directions. It's sad that Jesus has to track me down halfway to Capernaum and whenever I sail in my own directions. But I am thankful that he does!
 
In Christ's Love,
a disoriented sailor
-------------------------------
Jesus had left the disciples to go to the mountains alone.  They got into the boat.  Personally - I understand both.  They had been dealing with a huge (5000 men - not counting women and children) crowd.  I would be exhausted, overstimulated, and at my wit's end!  Jesus went on one direction - the disciples went in another.  And left without waiting.  The disciples show many times their impatience.  I have shown my own impatience many times as well.  But eventually God does show up.  He will bail us out.  He will track us down when we venture off course.  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home