Thursday, May 26, 2011

Convo with Pastor - Proverbs 1 ...

H O W   T O   H E A R   T H E   V O I C E   O F   G O D

Too many people say that "they try and try, but can't hear God."
For the next several days, I want to share with you a technique
I've learned from T. W. Hunt in "The Disciples Prayer Life."
It's a three-step process: 1) read a passage of scripture,
2) ask "What God is saying to me?" (each day I'll give fewer hints),
3) pray, "What I am saying to God?" (reflecting what God said to you).



SCRIPTURE PASSAGE
1 These are the proverbs of Solomon, David's son, king of Israel. 2 The purpose of these proverbs is to teach people wisdom and discipline, and to help them understand wise sayings. 3 Through these proverbs, people will receive instruction in discipline, good conduct, and doing what is right, just, and fair. 4 These proverbs will make the simpleminded clever. They will give knowledge and purpose to young people. 5 Let those who are wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser. And let those who understand receive guidance 6 by exploring the depth of meaning in these proverbs, parables, wise sayings, and riddles. 7 Fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Only fools despise wisdom and discipline. --- Proverbs 1
WHAT GOD IS SAYING TO ME?
some intentionally left blank ... for you to fill in (my responses are in red)!
  1. VERSE 1 - Solomon wrote Proverbs; God works through people.
  2. VERSE 2 - The purpose of proverbs is to teach people wisdom and discipline.
  3. VERSE 3 - Through proverbs, people will receive instruction in discipline, good conduct, and doing what is just, right, and fair.
  4. VERSE 4-5 - They will make simpleminded clever, bring knowledge and purpose to young, help the wise to be wiser, and give guidance to those who understand.
  5. VERSE 7 - The beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord.
WHAT I AM SAYING TO GOD?
  1. Father God - I want you to be able to work through me to speak to others.
  2. I know I am stubborn, but please help me to learn your wisdom and discipline and to put it in practice.
  3. Please use your word to teach me and to help teach others. Forgive me for not studying it and truly understanding it like I should.  
  4. I know I am not clever, wise or understanding.  Please help me to grow and be able to receive these gifts from you.
  5. "Lord, I want wisdom; therefore, I will love you, fear you, respect you, and worship you."
  6. additional prayers .....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home