Sunday, March 28, 2010

Knowing God - Job 1:21

(from Pastor)

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will depart. 
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
may the name of the Lord be praised”
Job 1:21
 
Most of us wouldn't complain if we had a little more money. But I remember having to counsel someone once who was taking the wrong attitude toward getting it.
 
The person was upset that their parents had adopted the philosophy, "I want to live so fully that I'm cashing my last check when I die." Yes, they were traveling some and playing more. Yes, they had made arrangements -- insurance, etc. -- in case they were incapacitated. But mostly, they were giving it away. They were joyfully investing in the kingdom.
 
"My inheritance!" cried this friend.
 
How do you think my friend would have reacted if I said they're living God's purposes: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart"?
 
How do you think my friend would have reacted if their motto became, "May the name of the Lord be praised"?
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who already has a great inheritance
... it's eternal and from God
-----------------------------------------------------------
It can also be a reminder for us to live simply.  Do we really need 8 pairs of shoes? 10 pairs of jeans? A TV in every room? The newest gadget?  God will take care of our needs. We need to watch out for the wants.  What we have isn't guaranteed.  It is hard not to get attached to our stuff - but we can't take it with us.  But what we have waiting for us in heaven is ... amazing!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home