Saturday, April 03, 2010

Judges 5:1-7:25

5:3 I will sing to the Lord, I will sing; I will make music to the Lord, the God of Israel.

Deborah and Barak sang a song to God for the victory of Israel.

Now Gideon ... I have always liked this story.  Again the Israelites did evil in the sight of the Lord, were punished and eventually cried out to God. Same pattern.  God told Gideon to go and he argued - my clan is the smallest and I am the weakest.  God told him he wasn't alone and he'd be successful.  Gideon obeyed God by tearing down the altar to Baal and the Ashera pole - he faced the wrath of the people, yet he still tested God with a fleece. Twice.  And God answered. Twice.

Gideon had gathered many men to fight with him.  God had him weed them out to show his true power...first by letting any who were scared to go home, then he sorted them on how they drank from the stream.  Gideon went from 32000 men to 300 to defeat the Midianites - and he did. Or rather, God used them to defeat the Midianites.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home