Thursday, May 27, 2010

Knowing God - John 4:10

(from Pastor)
"If you knew the gift of God,
and who it is that is saying to you,
'Give me a drink,’
you would have asked him,
and he would have given you living water."
John 4:10
 
My wife -- the medical one in the family -- tells me that coffee (and caffeine) are diuretics. In other words, they may go down wet, but they don't really quench your thirst. (To be blunt: Make you pee more, and, therefore, leave you thirstier than before.)
 
In John 4, Jesus is saying that too many of the ways of the world are spiritual diuretics. They may go down wet and satisfying, but they leave us spiritually parched. We chase after worldly satisfactions, and we wonder why we're still unsatisfied. We wonder why we feel deep down like we're as thirsty as if we'd just run a marathon on a hot day. 
 
The key to growth in faith is to monitor your level of spiritual hydration. Only Christ can give you living water. Only Jesus can truly quench our thirst.
 
In Christ's Love,
a former advertiser who wonders
whether spiritual Gatorade
would see better than Living Water
(ahhh ... just give me Jesus!)
 
---------------------------------------------------  
I was parched ... completely dry ... my cup was empty. Slowly there is some spiritual moisture returning to the bottom of the cup. It is nowhere close to overflowing ... Just the bottom is damp. I want my thirst quenched.
 
I recently learned that I need 90 ounces of water a day - and Pepsi and Cheerwine don't count. (darn!)  I know I am dehydrated - spiritually and physically. Both bring you down. How do we truly fill our cup?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home