Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Knowing God - Matthew 6:34

(from Pastor)

Personal Note ...
It's sure to be a nervous day.
Tomorrow Jay checks into the Academy.
 
Jesus said ...
do not worry about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.
Today's trouble is enough for today
Matthew 6:34
 
Have you ever waited for surgery ... or waited for a diagnosis ... or waited to start a new job? How'd you sleep the night before?
 
I'm not much of a worrier by nature; nevertheless, I've definitely been a guy with bags under his eyes on a number of occasions.
 
The question is: Is this commandment from Christ? (In which case, I've failed many times.) Or is this a piece of wisdom? 
 
I'm opting for the latter. Like in the book of Proverbs, I don't think Jesus is giving us yet another rule to weigh us down; I think he's giving us a piece of wisdom to set us free. I think he's saying
 
            Enjoy today!
 
Wait ... That may be overstating it a bit. After all, Jesus acknowledges that today may have "enough trouble of its own." Nevertheless, I do see an intentional invitation to "live in the moment"! "Carpe diem" is a piece what Jesus is saying. "Seize the day."
 
Therefore, Jay -- and all of you who are facing something big -- I give you Jesus' advice: "Do not worry about tomorrow." Instead, embrace today. Yes, they may call your next step -- Annapolis -- "prison," but today is your last day of "freedom" as a civilian. Don't let what's coming enslave you yet!
 
In fact, try this instead ... Do you remember what Jesus' advice is just before this verse? He said, "33 Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Therefore, let's ask, "Where are we seeing God today?" Why? Because seeing him in the present reminds us that he'll be there tomorrow too. Seek him today. Seek him tomorrow.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants to carpe diem with you
before the Navy carpes you manana
---------------------------------------------
I am a worrier.  Always have been. "What if" and "If only" are two phrases that I have uttered way too often!  Carpe Diem (I always picture Robin Williams saying that in 'Dean Poets Society')  Seize the Day.  Live for today. Pastor has been helping me to learn to see God in the daily ... seek him out in the everyday.  We can't see into the future - we can't do anything about the past - but we can see God today.  

I know I will still worry. I will still have sleepless nights and ask what if and if only too much - but I am seeing God more and more in the daily ... I am trying to Vide Dei more than Carpe Diem!  (See God vs seizing the day)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home