Monday, June 28, 2010

Knowing God - 2 Samuel 22:31

(from Pastor)

Personal Note
This week begins my son Jay's life in the navy
 
As for God, his way is perfect;
the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.
2 Samuel 22:31
 
At the academy, my son Jay is scheduled to be in Company 5. Therefore, I've held up my hand to him and wiggled my five fingers, saying, "Remember, Jay, the shield of faith":
 
        1) God is who he says he is.
        2) God can do what he says he can do.
        3) I am who God says I am.
        4) I can do what God says I can do
           (which is all things through Christ who strengthens me)
        5) God's Word is alive and active in me.
 
You don't have to be in the military to have the world be a hazardous place. Satan shoots and the world woo's. "Shield's up!" "Take refuge in him."
 
That will be one of my final pieces of advice to my boy(s). "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8).
 
Too many of us would like a shield, but we drill holes in it before we're done with point one. Do we really believe that God is powerful and active in our lives and that his way -- not my way -- is perfect?
 
Jesus tells us that he is "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6). That three-fold affirmation is today's verse too. "His WAY is perfect." In his "flawless ... Word" there is TRUTH. And when we "take [our] refuge in him," we're escaping the constant hazards and discovering LIFE the way it was meant to be.
 
Jay -- and all of you -- "Shield's up!" Have a great LIFE!
 
Love,
Dad 
----------------------------------------
This comes from Beth Moore's study on Believing God.  This study was what I was going through when I went into my deep depression.  I see it completely differently now.  This 'shield' that I reluctantly participated in during bible study is TRUE!  
1. God IS who he says he is (even when we try to deny it or tell him he isn't.)
2. God can do what he says he can do ... and he actually does it to boot!
3. I am who God says I am. Ephesians 1 says that I am chosen, adopted, blessed, holy, blameless redeemed ... must be true (although I still have trouble with this one, but if I read it and say it aloud enough I may believe it one day!)
4. I can do what God says I can do (I don't need the strength - I just need the trust)
5. God's word is alive and active in me.  I am experiencing God in a new amazingness!!!  I still have a very long way to go. But his word is growing in me ... 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home