Thursday, June 24, 2010

Knowing God - 1 Timothy 1:17

(from Pastor - 2 in 1 day - go with it!)

To the King of the ages,
immortal, invisible, the only God,
be honor and glory forever and ever.
Amen.
1 Timothy 1:17
 
I've sometimes asked the youth group: If you could be a superhero, what one trait would you like to have?
 
Half the kids say, "I'd like to be able to fly."
 
The next most common response is, "I'd like the ability to become invisible."
 
Not me.
 
Sneaking up on people and hearing what they say about me is not appealing at all. I'd rather take people at face value -- as in face to face.
 
All of us know that other people talk about us behind our backs. But I'd rather give people the opportunity to be who they want to be in the light of day. (Otherwise, I might not like them!)
 
The remarkable thing about our immortal, invisible King, is that he "sees in secret" ... and likes us anyway! That's true love.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who has a superpower:
I know nothing
----------------------------------------
I only want the power to be invisible so I could hide from everyone.  I have an 'invisibility cloak' that I wrap around myself to shield myself from the world. (It isn't very effective in reality - but is comforting nonetheless)  I think it is significant that the verse says 'only' God.  Immortal, invisible ONLY God.  We don't need any other gods ... although we have them.  We tend to acquire gods who are visible and finite. our ONLY God is invisible and immortal.  and he wants our honor and glory - forever.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home