Saturday, June 26, 2010

Knowing God - Deuteronomy 7:9

(from Pastor)

Know therefore that
the Lord your God is God,
the faithful God who
maintains covenant loyalty
with those who love him
and keep his commandments,
to a thousand generations
Deuteronomy 7:9
 
I just finished leading youth group. We played a game. I gave one person a pen, and I gave another person a picture of a pen. I said, "Draw with your pen." One could draw, and one could not.
 
I gave one person a hammer and the other a drawing of a hammer ... a lollipop and a drawing of a lollipop ... scissors and a drawing of scissors. I said, "Hammer, eat, and cut." One could, and one could not.
 
What's the difference? "One is real. One is paper (and pretend)."
 
The point? Some people believe that God is really real. While other believe that God is God-on-paper, God-in-theory. Too many of us read about God on paper -- i.e. on the pages of our Bibles -- but we treat the words as "stories" and we don't really believe he's real.
 
The question is: What will it take you to truly "know ... that the Lord your God is God"? What's holding you back from truly believing that "God is who he says he is" and that "God can do what he says he can do"?
 
God is ... powerful. And when you truly believe that God is powerful (powerful for real and not just on paper), then you will have more power in your life. Much more!!!
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants to recycle all my old paper
and discover (more fully) the real God
and all his power 
--------------------------------
What will is take to truly "know that the Lord my God is God?"  I am realizing that he is is much more powerful than I ever imagined.  I have been in the bottom of a pit and he has helped me climb out.  He did not pull me out - that would have been too easy.  He has helped me climb out and has shown me that there is no way I would be where I am on this side of it without him.  He has been walking along side me as I wear the path around the hole of grief in my heart. Tossed me a rope when I fell in. Placed people and situations in my life the last few months so that I would not only regain a desire to live, but so that I would know beyond any doubt that he was the only one who could orchestrate something so amazing.  


I am still discovering and still have much to learn and grow.  But my belief is building on something so much firmer than it was on before.  There is power in His love. I thought I knew who God was ... having always gone to church. But I am learning how truly loving, powerful, jealous and passionate he is.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home