Saturday, July 24, 2010

Knowing God - Psalm 40:3

(from Pastor)

He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the Lord.
Psalm 40:3
 
In the midst of our mission trip, I caught a cold. It fought first with my throat and robbed me of my voice. Therefore, last Thursday was a very strange day of hand motions and charades ... and power tools ... and, thankfully, no lost fingers.
 
It made me think about how much we take the gift of communicate for granted. I constantly felt like I was retreating into a shell as my voice refused to participate in games, devotions, and conversations. Isolated, lonely, and ... (well, I'll come back to this in minute).
 
Now, one direction I could go with this is to say something about needing to appreciate the gifts we have and praying for those who physically limited in any way. (That's always a needed reminder.)
 
But for the second time this week, our scripture verse is about a new song. A few days ago, we "watched" an old man grab a guitar and sing an old song in a new way. My voice left me isolated, lonely, and with only one person to talk to.
 
When have you slowed down -- and been silenced enough -- to sing a new song and say a new prayer to God.
 
In Christ's Love,
a quieted guy
---------------------------------
I am learning a new song.  This has been a time of intense loneliness.  So much so that I am no longer weeping in my loneliness, but instead treating it as my new 'norm'.  The second part of the verse struck me - many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.  The order of events ... first you see him, then you fear what you saw, then you realize you can trust him.  I do see him.  He terrifies me.  I still don't trust like I know I should.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home