Thursday, July 15, 2010

Knowing God - Isaiah 55:11

(from Pastor)

It is the same with my word.
I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
Isaiah 55:11
 
My grandfather was a farmer. Every summer he produced hundreds and hundreds of acres of wheat and corn and beans.
 
Wait ... did you notice anything strange about that last sentence?
 
Who produced?
 
My grandfather was a very good steward of the earth. He tilled. He planted. He fertilized, cultivated, and prayed. Indeed, I'm certain that he prayed a lot for the sun, the rain, and the good health to do his appointed chores. In due season, my mom's father -- and his big green combine -- also trailers full of grain. Yes, my grandfather worked very, very hard. But did my grandfather produce life?
 
As the Apostle Paul once said, "I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth" (1 Corinthians 3:6). In this verse, Paul was talking more about evangelism than farming, but the point is the same: God produces life. God produces fruit. And one of our Lord's principal tools in prospering life is his Word. God says, "... my word.
I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to ..." 
 
If you're feeling less than fruitful, try reengaging God's Word.
 
This devotion is hopefully a good start! Want more, why not pick a favorite book -- say John or Genesis -- and pray, "God, give new growth." Or why not email me, and I'll help you discover a do-able reading plan.
 
In Christ's Love,
Mr. Black Thumb
(i.e. a guy who's never produced
more than a bushel full of any vegetable)
-------------------------------------------
Less than fruitful. Dry. Parched. Empty.  All descriptors I have used the past several months.  I have tried reengaging in God's word ... and like my own attempts at gardening ... have failed miserably!  But in his faithfulness - where he sends out his word, it will produce fruit.  He will prosper - despite my feeble and failed attempts.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home