Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Knowing God - Psalm 33:3

(from Pastor)

Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully, and shout for joy.
Psalm 33:3
 
People have learned to ask me what I like to ask you: "What was your biggest God moment?" This week I'll share a few of my "God moments" from the mission trip.
 
My biggest one, hands down, was with the whole team gathered for lunch last Saturday. Chris and Gary brought guitars and mandolins, and we all sang songs of faith.
 
The homeowner we were working with -- Hank -- loved the music and kept saying, "I used to play the guitar." Then he held up a palsied, shaking, 82-year-old hand and said, "But now my hands tremble."
 
It took a lot of coaxing, but a guitar soon found its way into his hands, and Hank's hands settled, and his "I can't" soon turned into some beautiful "back porch picking." Indeed, he sang to us a song of faith.
 
God promises to us a "new heaven" and a "new earth" where mourning and crying and pain will be no more. Our hands will not shake, our bodies will not be weary, and we will sing a new song with renewed voices and new faith.
 
I caught a glimpse of heaven on the mission trip. A pre-figuring.
 
Thanks, Hank. Thanks, God.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who can't play the guitar ... yet
(maybe Hank can teach me in heaven)
---------------------------------------
I almost always have a song in my head. I can't really play an instrument although I have a hammer dulcimer that does an excellent job of collecting dust.  And I have been known to shout in joy from time to time.  In my career, I often come across "Hank" - older people who have given up on a passion they had due to age and perceived inability.  The song is still there.  It's in our hearts.  We don't need out physical abilities to play, sing and shout for joy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home