Sunday, January 17, 2010

Know God - day 17

Psalms of Purpose. Psalm 122 then 121


What is God saying to us here?  Psalms 120-134 are Psalms of Ascent.  Recited by pilbrams as they ascended to Jerusalem.  Ps 122 is more obviously talking about the journey.  Ps 121 is asking for protection from the thieves and wild animals in living in the hills.  It is a psalm of Assurance.

Pastor asks, "What line in these two Psalms grabbed your heart and captured your imagination as you were praying them today?"

121:7-8 The Lord will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

This grabbed my heart.  I am going through a period of struggle. I am feeling so alone, but here he is - reassuring us that he will watch over our life. Not just today. or next year. or that one time a few years ago. but our LIFE!  24/7/365 until the day we see him face to face.

Psalm of Trust - Psalm 23
This is the most well known Psalm.  There are books, songs, bracelets, prints, photos, etc dedicated to it.  According to pastor, it tells us "who God is [gentle shepherd], recommends a condition for our heart [not wanting and satisfied], acknowledges the trials of life [valley of the shadow of death], and assures us there is abundant hope in the end [I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever]. "

What is your favorite line in this Psalm today? What does is say to you?
v2 He MAKES me lie down in green pastures.  He doesn't encourage me to think about lying down. He MAKES me! Lie Down. relax. rest. in green pastures - peaceful, fresh smelling, alive. He is forcing me to rest peacefully.  Just wish he'd say WHEN he was going to do this.  But I know that the time will come.  I know. I can look forward for the peaceful rest he will give me.

Psalm of Prophesy - Psalm 22
(are you confused? I was. Pastor does admit that this is a Psalm of lament.  That makes much more sense!!  It is a plea from hostility and pain.)

But!

Pastor says that God has also used it in another way. Written almost a thousand years prior to crucifixion was even invented, God foreshadowed Christ's final hours. Pastor lists:

  • 1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
  • 6 I am ... scorned by others, and despised by the people.
  • 7 All who see me mock at me.
  • 8 let ... the Lord ... deliver him [if he is able said the scoffers at the cross]
  • 14 I a poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint.
  • 15 my mouth is dried up like a potsherd.
  • 16 a company of evildoers encircles me.
  • 18 They divide my clothes among themselves, and for my clothing they cast lots.
Pastor then asks, "When your heart realizes that God holds past, present and future in his hands, how does that make you feel?"  

confused. conflicted. questioning. but I should feel comforted. secure. hope.  I don't right now.  I hope one day soon it will return.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home