Friday, January 15, 2010

Rest

I am weary. physically. emotionally. spiritually.
physically - I am getting between 2-4 hours of sleep a night and have for almost 2 weeks.  I can't sleep.  I crawl into bed exhausted and my mind keeps going and going and going.  My mantra at these times is usually to breath in "Jes-" and breath out "-sus" and before I am really aware of it - I am asleep.
Emotionally - I'm a mess right now.
spiritually - I am tired of wrestling. fighting, arguing. weeping. gnashing of teeth. cussing.

I want rest.  I want to sleep dreamless sleep.  I want to wake up on the otherside of this journey - refreshed.

So I searched for what God says to us who are weary (NIV):
Ps 119:28 My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
Ps 25:25 Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land.
Is 40:29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Is 40:31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not growweary, they will walk and not be faint.
Jer 31:25 I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint
Matt 11:28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

then I searched for 'rest' as in sleep, restoration - again NIV. but if you have another version that you really like, please let me know.  I just tend to stick with the familiar.
Gen 18:4 Let a little water be brought, and then you may all wash your feet and rest under this tree.
Exod 33:14 The Lord replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."
Deu 33:12 "Let the beloved of the Lord restsecure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders."
2Sam 7:11 I will also give you rest from all your enemies.
2Sam 14:17  'May the word of my lord the king bring me rest, for my lord the king is like an angel of God in discerning good and evil. May the Lord your God be with you.' 
Job 3:13 For now I would be lying down in peace; I would be asleep and at rest
Job 3:26 I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil
Job 11:18 You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety.
Ps 16:9 Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure,
Ps 55:6 "Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest--
Ps 62:1 My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
Ps 62:5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
Ps 91:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
Ps 116:7 Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.
Isa 28:12 "This is the resting place, let the weary rest
Isa 30:15 This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.
Isa 57:2 Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death.
Jer 45:3 You said, 'Woe to me! The Lord has added sorrow to my pain; I am worn out with groaning and find no rest.'
Matt 11:28-29 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Mark 6:31 Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."
Heb 4:9-11 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home