Friday, February 12, 2010

Knowing God - Joshua 17:18

(from pastor)

The hill country
shall be thine.
Joshua 17:18
When the people of Israel entered the Promised Land, each tribe was given a section of this great land. But the people of Joseph -- indeed, the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh -- complained. They didn't think their allotment was sufficient ... and besides, they said, the enemies there had iron chariots.
As I understand what happened, Joshua said to them, essentially, "Tough. This is your land. But since you are numerous -- and you are -- if you think you need more land, go take the hill country of the Perizzites and the Rephaites too." I'm sure others will have a different interpretation of this -- read the chapter on your own -- but that's what I hear God, through Joshua, saying to them. So let's apply that interpretation to us ...
God gives us a territory, a life, a family, a little corner of his kingdom. If we follow him, he will bless us here. If we don't follow him, sin will inevitably have it's consequences.
But what if we want to be bold?!!!
In the prayer of Jabez, this little known Israelite prays, "Enlarge my territory." He's not asking for more money; rather, he's willing to accept more responsibility and exert more kingdom influence. I hear God saying to Jabez ... and to the tribes of Joseph ... and to you and me, "I have given you your little corner of the kingdom ... but if you want more land, more influence, more fruit, go fight for the hill country. The inhabitants of the land may have iron chariots, but you have something bigger and better on your side -- God! Trust in me. The hill country shall be yours."
In Christ's Love,
a guy who likes the mountains more than the beach
(so I'm willing to fight for the hills!) 
 -------------------------------
I can't really think of a comment.  I am trying to control my little corner. maybe tht's the problem.  I need to stop trying to control it.  By no means do I want to enlarge it.  Pastor can take the hill country. I'll stay right here in the flats for a while. Thank you very much.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home