Monday, February 15, 2010

Knowing God - Nahum 1:12

(from pastor)
Though I have afflicted thee,
I will afflict thee no more.
Nahum 1:12
 
"What have I done to deserve this?" Have you ever asked this?
 
As a pastor/shepherd, I have repeatedly counseled people that "no ... this isn't punishment." But how can I say that with such confidence when verses like this seem to undermine the credibility of such assurances.
 
Nahum tells us that "7 The Lord is good, a stronghold in a day of trouble; he protects those who take refuge in him ..." But, he says through the prophet, "9 Why do you plot against the Lord?"
 
Here's my answer to our worry about affliction and judgment. I don't think God needs to punish us! Our own sin -- and the world's sin -- creates enough awful consequences of its own. Therefore, I absolutely do not believe that God ever plots against us. But I equally firmly believe that we plot against God. It is sometimes intentional and sometimes unintentional. We undermine his purposes and undermine ourselves. We go in the wrong direction and lead others astray. We lie, we cheat, we steal. We can't expect God to bless that.
 
Does God afflict? He can. He's God. 
 
Might he occasionally thwart the plans of the wicked? I hope so! And I'm sure they'd call it affliction.
 
Might he also thwart some of the more dubious plans of his children? I hope he does that too. (Indeed, I've hatch a few bad ideas that didn't backfire like they could have.)
 
But ... do I think God actually, literally afflicts his children and his servants? No! Does he tests us occasionally? Absolutely! But what is a loving God's goal. It is always and only to teach us more deeply and to draw us ever nearer.
 
"7 The Lord is good, a stronghold in a day of trouble; he protects those who take refuge in him ..."
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who wants to be afflicted ...
but only with more conviction!   

-----------------------------------------------
Hello. I am one of those who is trying to believe that God does not punish.  I don't understand. How can a loving God cause or allow to happen all the crap in the world.  More personally - if taking a child isn't punishment, then why?  Someone wise tried to explain once that it may have been a consequence of other people's actions. I was just an 'innocent bystander.'  Doesn't help. 

However, the journey through grief and all the other junk is drawing me closer to God.  I am learning to 'take refuge in Him.' to trust him. to know that the afflictions are only temporary and a means to share his love, grace and mercy with others.  I am human. I know there will still be days when I want to quit. when I am furious at God and want to beat trees. when the only prayer I have are my tears.  But God is there. he has always been there. he will always be there.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home