Thursday, July 01, 2010

Knowing God - Joshua 1:7, 9, 11

(from Pastor)

Personal Note:
Today my son, Jay, will be commissioned
as a Midshipman in the U.S. Navy.
(Go Navy ... Beat Army)
 
Be strong and very courageous ...
Do not be afraid or discouraged.
For the LORD your God is with you
wherever you go ...
Go  ...and take possession
of the land the Lord your God
has given you.
Joshua 1:7,9,11
 
There are many great commissionings in the Bible. This is my favorite ...
 
Jay, since you were 8 you wanted to go to Navy. "Go ... and take possession of the land that the Lord ... has given you [to possess]."
 
I don't mean that in prideful way. I don't mean that you'll "own" the academy. (It will instead "own" you!) Rather, what I mean is ...
 
"God has brought you here.
Like the Israelites who could look back
at God's mighty hand which parted the Red Sea,
look back and know that God
who was behind goes before you.
 
"Therefore, go forward in confidence.
'Do not be afraid or discourage.'
Rather be 'strong and very courageous';
not because you are strongest cadet,
but you have a strong and faithful God 
behind you, beside you, and before you."
 
In that sense -- and whether I'm talking to just Jay or anyone else facing a trial -- "Go ... and take possession of the land that the Lord ... has given you [to possess]." "Love the journey" is another way of stating that. And if you can't love the journey everyday, at least embrace it. You are on the adventure of a life time!
 
One final piece of advice ... and it's not mine; it's the rest of verse 7: "be careful to act in accordance with all the law that my servant Moses commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, so that you may be successful wherever you go." 
 
God is your compass. He is your true north. If you live with faith and integrity, then you will be truly successful wherever you go.
 
In Christ's Love,
Dad
(P.S. I love you.)
(P.S.S. I am very proud of you.)
(P.S.S.S. Anchors aweigh, son.)
-----------------------------------------------
(My own personal note: Today my baby boy turns 7! And Go Air Force ... Beat Army!)


When I went into treatment, I went with Joshua 1:9 as my stronghold. Do not be afraid, be strong and courageous (and my favorite part ... now) FOR THE LORD YOUR GOD IS WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO!!!  When I returned, pastor pointed out the last part about taking possession of the land.  Taking possession of the journey - of your life - of whatever situation God places us in - embracing the journey - My latest saying it, "I don't have to like it, but I have to accept it." God will give us the courage and the strength to conquer the fear ... and he will be right there with us ... every single step of the way!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home