Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Knowing God - Psalm 104:2

(from Pastor)
You are dressed in a robe of light.
You stretch out the starry curtain
of the heavens
Psalm 104:2
 
In the Harry Potter books, the young wizard dresses occasionally in an invisibility cloak.
 
It hurts my mind to think how that would work. (I have to keep telling myself it's just pretend.)
 
Nevetheless, Harry -- and all of us -- cover our bodies to shield a truth. In Genesis 3, we are told that the truth that is shielded is shame.
 
I know that the lines in Psalm 104 today are just a metaphor. I don't think God really dresses in a robe of light. (That too would hurt my mind as I tried to figure out how it worked.) But here's the question: What truths might God's garments hide?
 
When Moses wanted to see God (Exodus 33), the Lord hid Moses in the cleft of rock ... then further shielded him with his hand ... then let Moses see only his back.
 
What is God hiding? His full glory! A robe of light might blind us, but God's true identity is even more glorious still!
 
If our minds hurt trying to figure out an invisibility cloak, imagine how small our understanding is beside the God of all creation.
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy with a headache
(and a heart-longing)
----------------------------------------
(I have an invisibility cloak ... shhh ... don't tell anyone)


Imagine - if Moses could only see God's back and after he was present in God's glory, no one could look at him. Isn't heaven going to be amazing!! I can't wait to get there and see this robe of light and bask in his glory.  Until then I will keep learning ... however, the more I learn, the less I know or understand.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home