Saturday, January 01, 2011

Resolutions?

Definition: resolution - a formal expression of opinion or intention madea resolve or determination, the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc., the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose., the act or process of resolving or separating into constituentor elementary parts., the resulting state., Optics . the act, process, or capability of distinguishing between two separate but adjacent objects or sources oflight or between two nearly equal wavelengths., a solution, accommodation, or settling of a problem,controversy, etc., the progression of a voice part or of the harmony as awhole from a dissonance to a consonance., the tone or chord to which a dissonance is resolved., reduction to a simpler form; conversion., the reduction or disappearance of a swelling or inflammation without suppuration., the degree of sharpness of a computer-generated image asmeasured by the number of dots per linear inch in a hard-copy printout or the number of pixels across and down on a display screen.

Synonyms - resolve, determination, perseverance, tenacity; strength, fortitude.

This is the time of year when you hear people saying they need to make a New Year's Resolution.  People act as if a new year is a blank slate. a new beginning. a fresh start. That nothing from the previous year will impact this fresh, new, unblemished year ... but that is so not true.  We carry everything from the past year - even years - into this new one.  Someone wise (yes - a wise guy) said that our calendar is an artificial marker of time.  He is right (shhh...dont' tell him!).  Some ruler hundreds of years ago decided that this was going to be our calendar.  Now humans have added stress with the need for resolutions when the dates change.

One of my favorites is "I resolve not to make any New Year's resolutions!" (usually said with a very righteous tone)  Ahem ... excuse me, but you just made a resolution.  I have discovered that making resolutions just leads to an increased sense of guilt.  When I fail - as I always do - I get mad at myself. Realize just what a failure I am and sink even lower.  One year I resolved to read 25 books ... that one I achieved. By mid March.  In January 2010 I was going to read the bible through in a year and blog about the daily readings. This lasted until April ... but also contributed to many of my struggles this year I believe.

So - for 2011, I am not resolving anything ... I have set no goals, no dreams for the year. I am not even yearning to be filled with hope, peace and joy.  If God didn't fill me before, why would he now.  2011 will just be another tick in my wait to be wrapped in the arms of Jesus.  Another 365 days of biding time on earth.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home