Monday, January 18, 2010

Genesis 11:27-15:21

Now we are back in Genesis...I am not sure I had the correct perspective when reading Job, but it was my perspective and where I am right now in my journey.  It'll be interesting to see how I view it in later years.

11:30 Now Sarai was barren; she had no children.

What a lonely verse.  (I know what happens.)  It is still so lonely and desolate and sad.

In ch 12, God promises to make Abraham a great nation and bless him.  Boy did he ever deliver!  Even so - Abram made mistakes.  Telling Pharaoh that Sarai was his sister - didn't that cause adultery? Or b/c Sarai had no choice in marrying Pharaoh, it doesn't really count?  At least she wasn't punished for this.

Abram and Lot - too big to live together so they separated.  Lot chose what he thought was the better land.  Near Sodom. Abram was in Canaan.  So often we choose what looks from a distance to be the best choice, but it turns out to be a huge mistake and we lose everything in the end.  Lot chose what looked to be best, but it was full of wickedness.

When Lot was captured for living in Sodom, Abram took 318 men (why so exact a number?) and rescued him.  Melchizedek blessed Abram and Abram in turn gave him a tenth of his portion.  but to the king of Sodom - he refused anything.  He wanted no connection with the evil he supported.  Do we refuse evil or the appearance of evil these days? Or do we take anything not caring about the impression it will leave?

God said:
"Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward." Why can't he talk openly like that to us??? Yes, it is comforting to read it here, but it would be so nice to hear it live as well.

Can you see Abram when God told him he'd have offspring as numerous as the stars? When he told him he'd have an heir?  I can see the polite, 'I'll believe it when I see it.' smile.  God then told Abram about his offspring's not so happy future and made a covenant with him promising his descendants the land where they were.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home