Saturday, February 06, 2010

Knowing God - Psalm 66:6

(from pastor)

He turned the sea into dry land;
they went through the flood on foot;
there did we rejoice in him
Psalm 66:6
A fun question to ask is: What do you like better -- mountains or ocean? In my surveys, it's usually 60-40 beach. Now try this ... Which do you like better -- ocean or desert? What do you think? 95 to 5 ... sea over dry land?
In today's passage, instead of a gentle beach, it was the sea that was the problem -- chaos and drowning. Can deserts and dry spot be strangely good? Well, think about how many of the significant events in the Bible took place in deserts and wilderness! How come? Perhaps it was because it was so parched and lonely that the only one to talk to was God.
Wait ... read that again ... can parched and dry and lonely actually draw us closer to God? What current desert in our lives might we consider thinking of as places of "rejoic[ing]" instead of places of frustration?
In Christ's Love,
a guy who's learning to appreciate cactus 

--------------------------
Yes. I was asked what I like better. My reply - a mountain on the beach.  I grew up 1 mile from the Atlantic Ocean.  I attempted surfing when there were hurricane warnings. I spent every summer in the foothills of the Ozarks and our son is buried there.  I spent three years looking at Pike's Peak from my house daily.  I like both - equally.  But I need water - so I prefer ocean to desert.  Living that close to Pikes Peak meant living in a high desert.  No water. Brown foliage. If I never have to think about xeriscaping again, that is fine with me! 


However, God turned the sea into dry land.  In the sea can be dangerous.  Have you ever been tossed by a wave?  For a few seconds, determining top from bottom is a bit disconcerting.  God spent all night drying that land for the Israelites to walk on the next day - to the safety of the wilderness.  To wander in the desert.  (as I heard recently - God doesn't need to part seas anymore, he allows us to walk on water if we believe.)  


I admit, I am wandering in a wilderness/desert right now.  It is lonely.  However, there are times I am able to sing praises to God.  It has removed many distractions. It has caused me to be completely honest with God.  To learn to be honest with myself.  There is no where to hide in the desert.  It is you and God.  He already knows - he is helping us to know.  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home