Sunday, March 07, 2010

Numbers 22:1 - 24:25

One of my favorite stories ... Balaam's Ass ... (and a one time fun band!)

so, if you chose not to listen to or acknowledge God - he will use any means necessary - even talking donkeys!

God told Balaam, 22:20 "Since these men have come to summon you, go with them, but do only what I tell you."   (can you hear the ominous music?)

Balaam went with the princes of Moab instead of Balak.  He disobeyed.  God stopped him from making a huge mistake.  By using his donkey.  I only know 1-2 people with donkeys, but know plenty with dogs.  I am pretty sure I would fall over if one of my dogs actually spoke to me.

Balaam tells Balak (in summary):

  • How can I curse one who God has not cursed?
  • God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? I have received a command to bless; he has blessed, and I cannot change it. 
  • May those who bless you (Israel) be blessed and those who curse you be cursed!
  • I see him, but not now; I behold him, but not near. A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel. He will crush the foreheads of Moab, the skulls of all the sons of Sheth. Edom will be conquered; Seir, his enemy, will be conquered, but Israel will grow strong. A ruler will come out of Jacob and destroy the survivors of the city.

Naturally, Balak was less than happy.  He did not reward Balaam, but sent him away.   Obedience isn't easy.  But when we are finally obedient, God will do amazing things.  When we aren't obedient, he will still do amazing things - we just don't always see them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home