Friday, July 30, 2010

Knowing God - Matthew 11:25

(from Pastor)

At that time Jesus said,
"I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth,
because you have hidden these things
from the wise and the intelligent
and have revealed them to infants ..."
Matthew 11:25
 
I've frequently said that, "I've never had a question from an adult that I cannot answer. But I get unanswerable questions from kids all the time!" With adults you can research and draw parallels and sometimes just talk long enough that they assume you know something (or get bored). Kids, however, cut straight to the heart of the issue, and won't tolerate clever obfiscations.
 
So if any "wise and intelligent" adults want to know what the "wise and intelligent" in this passage were missing, then the most important words in this verse are, "at that time." 
 
Here's the context of chapter 11 ... Jesus has just commissioned the twelve disciples (chapter 10), and after telling them that they will face great challenges (chapter 10 again), another true follower of God is arrested (John the Baptist, chapter 11, verse 2). As the rejection of Jesus -- his message and followers -- begins, Jesus turns and address the crowd, saying, "to what will I compare this generation?" (v 16). He'll go on to compare them to blasphemous citizens of Sodom (v. 24) In fact, "Woe!" is the verdict he proclaims on many cities because like Sodom, they would not repent (v. 21-24). "The wise and the intelligent" -- read, the Jewish scholars, the religious leaders, and the proud but hard-hearted -- totally missed the coming of the Messiah.
 
Who wasn't going to miss the coming of the kingdom? As the Gospel unfolds, it was ... the infants ... the children ... or in other words, the religiously simple but religiously honest. It was "the least of these." It was even the Gentiles. All wound up embracing God's gift from heaven. 
 
Hope is not a matter of being scholarly. It is a matter of being tired, honest, and innocent, for as Jesus will say, in just a few verses: "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
 
In Christ's Love,
a guy who doesn't want to be
intellectually burdened anymore
-------------------------------------------
Hello. I am tired.  But I also like to learn and study ... but as I have said many times before - the more I learn, the less I know.  I know there is so much more to learn.  There is much hidden from me.  But my burden is so heavy. I am trying to learn, but my stubborn self won't always accept it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home