Thursday, January 21, 2010

Liturgy - how?

In trying to write my own - I have to figure out how.  Do you just read something written? Do you pick a piece of scripture or song or old prayer and say it outloud?  I am so confused.  Am I making this too hard?

You can find almost anything online... One site is called Ways to Pray  **caveat - I do NOT agree with everything I read, especially online.  I am very cynical and ---the word left me, doubting, questioning, ...

The Jesus Prayer was mentioned first.  I have long breathed the words "Jesus, give me rest" or just "Je" "sus" on inhalations and exhalations when unable to sleep due to my mind going 90 to nothing.  Apparently this is a practice dating back a long time.  The eastern orthodox pray "Lord Jesus Christ" (on inhalation) "have mercy on me, a sinner" on exhalation - or simply "jesus" "mercy".  This is credited to Luke 18:13.  Historically, according to the site, breath prayers were based on the refrains of Psalms.  I just know that it is something that has helped me cry out to Jesus for peace in my heart and spirit.

Reading the bible prayerfully.  This was very interesting to me.  I will just quote the author here, "One form of it goes like this : first, quiet your mind down. If you find that hard to do, it often helps that you focus on taking deep breaths. Once you're gotten some focus, begin softly speaking a chosen Bible passage. Then, read it again real slow, this time listening for a word or phrase that stirs you, speaking again and again until one stands out. Then stay with that word or phrase, and ask why the Spirit is stirring you with it. Take what you're thinking, feeling, and remembering, and offer it back to God in prayer. Then repeat the process. You'll be finished when you get a sense of peace about it. Or, you may finish with a sense of exhausted disturbance, in which you know you've poured it out for now, but you're still being stirred in a way that may only be resolved as the day goes on. (If so, keep going back to that word or phrase throughout the day, and see what it has to do with your life.)"

Collect: A new term to me.  Used in liturgical churches as part of the services.  The author at spirithome describes the parts of a collect as

  1. Address the Father;
  2. appeal to something about God's character that is relevant to what is being prayed about;
  3. the request, usually drawn in some way from the Scripture readings for the day;
  4. why you're asking;
  5. through Jesus;
  6. a praise of God.
Sounds...easy? but I have ways of making it difficult.  :-)  

But these aren't really answering my question of how.  Any suggestions? Liturgy, personal liturgy, is a foreign concept and I am having trouble wrapping my head around it.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home