Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Know God - day 19

1 Kings 3-6, 11

Solomon is now king.  He loves the Lord (3:3). In v5, God asks what he should give him.  

Has God ever told you to ask him for whatever you want? No? me neither.  Solomon chose wisdom. What would you choose?  What would you 'wish' for if God invited you to 'ask'?  The same thing I have wished for every single day for the past 6 years. For the past 2187 days - to hold my son in my arms. To feel the weight of him on my arms and his breath on my cheek.  That is honestly what I'd wish for if God asked.  Purely selfish I know.

Solomon built God a temple that God didn't ask for.  Solomon assumed he was doing the right thing. (and you know what assuming does?!?!?!)  He did what he wanted.  He also helped to fulfill prophesy in a king oppressing the people.  selling land, enslaving people.  taxing them heavily.  

When is a time we said, "I intend..." and you or someone else paid the price?  I have said that plenty of times.  I am very strong willed and stubborn.  One thing I was stubborn about was not having the monitor attached to Luke's scalp.  I was scared of it and said no.  They didn't explain anything to me.  Price: my son's life.

What is a situation right now where you are tempted to follow your own wisdom rather than God's specific call?  Our church search is one example.  My current fight is another.  I so want to do what I want, how I want, when I want, where I want.  But I am trying to be obedient.  Trying.

Then God told him, if you keep my statutes, obey my ordinances and keep all my commandments, I will establish my promises with you and will dwell among the children of Israel ... (6:11-13ish)

This shows that God will change his direction when we change our plans.  When we reach a crossroad, have to make a tough decision.  He won't abandon us.  God went on ahead of Solomon and asked to be chosen so he could bless Solomon.  

Pastor asks us to pray two things:
1.  Thank the Lord for never leaving you to stand alone in the crossroads of life.
2.  Pray that he will help you obey his ordinances and be blessed.

In 1 Kings 11, God tells the Israelites who they can and can not marry.  This was to prevent them from worshipping other gods.  Solomon didn't listen so well...700 princesses, 300 concubines... he was a busy man!  

Many of Solomon's marriages were more covenant's between nations.  It helped keep the peace.  It was very cultural and well reasoned.  Pastor points out that we do many things and excuse it based on culture and reason.  Solomon paid for it.  When he was old, his wives turned his heart after other gods; and his heart was not true to the Lord his God. (11:4)  Solomon's heart was so far gone that he didn't even see God waiting at every intersection.  

What consequences have we suffered for going our own well-reasoned way rather than God's clearly ordained way?  Death? Maybe. Heartache? definitely. lack of peace. a desire to not strive to get closer to God. to not continue to grow in his love and word.  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Speak gently. carefully. thoughtfully. graciously. humbly.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home